Art of life
A dynamic new design-meets-fashion event on the Joburg calendar bursts onto the scene this weekend
The inaugural annual arteBotanica event takes place this weekend at NIROX Sculpture Park, on Saturday 9 November from 10am til 5pm. Integrating their diverse artistic disciplines in a natural setting, designers, performers and visual artists will collaborate without boundaries. “This year the focus is on the fusion of fashion and the arts, acknowledging and interrogating the values of self-adornment and beautification,” says Manthe Ribane, creative director.
The creatives presenting their work will present a range of images, garments, sounds, movement and installations throughout the Sculpture Park, culminating in an early evening catwalk in the amphitheatre to the sound of the Joburg Philharmonic, with the backdrop of the surrounding hills of the Cradle of Humankind.
The audience is encouraged to join in – by sharing their own fashion statements and rediscovering the ‘artist within’ and exploring the possibilities offered by creativity.
Some of the artists and designers you can expect to see in action on Saturday include:
- Laduma Ngxokolo of Maxhosa in Moataz Nasr’s Sunboat
- Amy Zama with a Levi Jeans installation
- Justin Dingwall examining Clive Rundle’s Eclectic Garden
- A photo gallery from Imraan Christian
- Work by Crystal Birch, milliner extraordinaire
- Baba Tjeko and MINI with a live painting performance and public engagement
- Carlo Mombelli performing with David Brits, Good, Good, Good and Sealand
- Dancers from the National School of the Arts collaborating with Gabrielle Kruger and Black Coffee
- Msaki launching her video Pearls to Swine, which will be filmed with Unathi live at NIROX at arteBOTANICA with Tresor and Members of the Joburg Philharmonic
A number of brands and organisations have pulled their collective resources for the day to bring to the public what is sure to be an inspiring mashup of culture and creativity. These include MINI, Nike, BlackBrick x Weylandts, Hendricks, Boschendal, Haig Club Single Malt, Jo Malone, MAC make-up, Lampost Model Agency, KayaFM, BASA – Business & Arts South Africa, and the Swedish Embassy and Swedish Institute supporting sustainability in fashion.
Feast your eyes as well as other senses on the day courtesy of pop-up restaurants and street food from:
- Wandile Mabaso Les Creatifs Forest Brunch Traditional Asada with Che Argentinian Grill
- Baba G’s Rotisserie and 7 Color Harvest Table
- Baba G Picnic Baskets
- Tutto’s Paella (traditional or vegetarian)
- Li Kitchen Dim Sum and Tempura Bar
- Sushi Bus
- Dig Inn
And finally round off a day of sensory overload with treats from Joburg Culinary Cakes and Desserts, Artisanal Ice Creams and Coffee Tuk-Tuk.